Madre de Agua as a Natural Protein Source

Trichantera gigantea is the scientific name of Madre de Agua. A small tree that is usually used as fodder.

Madre de Agua is one of the best protein sources in preparing feeds for chickens, pigs, goats, cows and even fish. Chemically, it contains 88.44% dry matter, 18.21% crude protein, 12.5% crude fiber, 2.66% crude fat, 21.80% ash, 11.56% moisture, 5% calcium and .41% phosphorus.

In Costales Nature Farms, Madre de Agua is one of the ingredients in their EM fermented feed mix. Other ingredients include rensonii, kangkong, duckweed, indigofera and flemingia as its natural protein sources.Currently, this feed mix is being fed to the pigs only. However, in the preparation of the chicken feed, this mixture is also included as one of the base ingredients.

As a result in the farm, pigs that are being grown for 3-4 months can range from 80-90kgs. As for the chickens, within 80 days of growing, we can have a range of 2-2.2 kgs dressed weight.

Aside from pigs and chickens, Madre de Agua can also be fed to cattle, carabaos, sheep and goats.

25 Responses to Madre de Agua as a Natural Protein Source

1. Sonny Reply

February 8, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Am interested to have Madre de Agua plant in my garden. Where can I buy this plant and also the technique of propagating them.

My regard and advance thanks for any info

Sincerely

Sonny Untaln

• Matt Reply

September 14, 2013 at 3:22 am

I already have this plant and surely my pigs love to eat this plant …. And it is so easy propagating this plant…..

• edward gillado Reply

November 11, 2013 at 1:58 am

anong other name nang madre de agua

• Reden Costales Reply

February 14, 2014 at 7:32 am

trichantera po

• Adrian Abello Reply

February 13, 2014 at 2:31 pm

We have madre de agua for sale call/text adrian 0928285798

• marlo enlab Reply

April 14, 2014 at 12:26 am

growing madre de agau is very easy since it will grow anywhere , just plant it on the loamy soil and water everyday as its required wet, talking about propagating it , just cut off the stem in many pieces
      having the bud eye and plant.

2. stephen rodriguez Reply

May 28, 2013 at 1:25 am

Can you let me know where I can buy seedlings for Madre de Agua, I’m very much interested in propagating this for my livestock project. Thank you.

3. Reden Costales Reply

May 28, 2013 at 8:16 am

Where are you located po? ITCPH Lipa is propagating and selling Madre de Agua

4. tony quijano Reply

June 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm

been reading materiala abt madre de aqua in the net… but there is no mention about how fast they grow. could somebody pls give me an idea abt this. thanks

• Reden Costales Reply

June 20, 2013 at 11:16 am

a newly transplanted cutting would be harvestable after 2 months and can be harvested monthly afterwards

5. bebarrs Reply

June 22, 2013 at 5:29 am

For those who wanted to buy madre de agua cuttings and seedlings, Please try to contact this number 09213227247 and look for Mr. Ben Barros. He it the Madre de Agua Propagation Arm of http://www.eco-Philippines.com. They offer onsite madre de agua propagation or door to door delivery of planting materials.. Please feel free to visit the following links : http://www.eco-philippines.com/trichantera-madre-de-agua/ or https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eco-Philippines/179347862158206

6. michael jan Reply

July 28, 2013 at 2:05 am

i’m from cagayan de oro city, misamis
    oriental. where can i buy?

7. JANET RAMOS Reply

August 11, 2013 at 12:33 am

IM FROM PANGASINAN WHERE IS THE NEARER PLACE TO BUY MADRE DE AGUA PLANTS

8. josephine estares Reply

October 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

dear readers of madre d agua i would like to tell you and give some info regarding madre d agua that it is a good feeds to our pigs,fighting cocks , chickens,ducks,turkey, pagasus. 6k of madre equivalent to 1k feeds. u can contact me 09186588796 i can show u and give procedures we have also planting materials to be sold in a very resonable price. thanks

9. PIO C. MORITO Reply

October 23, 2013 at 5:02 am

I’m from General Santos City and would appreciate if the planting materials of this plant are available here in Gensan or in South Cotabato or even in Davao City or Cagayan de Oro City, thanks a lot. . .

• bebarrs Reply

November 2, 2013 at 12:21 am

Our Madre de Agua farm is located in Misamis Oriental 54 kms. from the heart of Cagayan de Oro City. We ship nationwide via LBC within a maximum of 24-hours shipment time frame.. Just contact us via 09213227247 or simply visit our website http://www.eco-Philippines.com..

• william sy Reply

May 21, 2014 at 9:33 am

im from lake sebu i have seedling of madre agua. just contact me at montecielo resort. mc cp 09204600690

10. josephine estares Reply

November 1, 2013 at 2:09 am

mr pio morato please contact my cp no. o9186588796 next week nasa cebu ako malapit lapit sa place mo magdadala ako dn ng mga palanting materials ng madre d agua pwede kitang guide dn for the planting materials

11. edward gillado Reply

November 12, 2013 at 3:52 am

mr PIO C. MORITO san poh kya s davao pwd mka buy ng madre de agua…. pls email me.. e_gillado@yahoo.com my phone no. 09099568269

12. mariz abello Reply

November 23, 2013 at 2:32 am

For those who want to order or buy madre de agua cuttings,pigs(native or with BREED),ETC

feel free to reach us on our facebook account:

TANMIAH FARMS (KARLO DE MESA)
    CONTACT NOS.09282857989
    JUST VISIT OUR PAGE
    OR LEAVE A MESSAGE

13. Mhay Reply

March 15, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Hi.sa koronadal ako mindanao saan malapit bibili ng madre de agua?

14. REYNALDO DAVID Reply

April 3, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I’am very much interested about this madre de agua. where i can buy this plant here in central luzon?

15. Nancy B. Dizon Reply

June 27, 2014 at 4:19 am

I am very interested to know more about madre de agua. I know that this is effective substitute for commercial feeds as we are using it to our organic farming (fresh feeds of organic pig). Now, my sister want to study madre de agua if it can be fish feeds. If you have inputs on this, I am very interested.

16. josephine estares Reply

July 5, 2014 at 12:04 am

nancy b. dizon,
    yes madre de agua is very effective as substitute for feeds i can help you contact me in my cp no. 09186588796 i can show u on how? i have also plenty of madre agua cutting for sale with free lectures on feed formulation and how to grow